DETAILED plans for 132 new homes in a Wrexham village have been approved despite major objections being raised.

Councillors met today (Monday, February 7) to discuss controversial proposals to develop land to the north and south of Lane Farm.

Permission for the scheme was initially refused by Wrexham Council’s planning committee in January 2019 amid concerns over the loss of green land, risk of flooding and impact on road safety.

The decision was overturned the following year after the then Welsh Government housing minister Julie James said the demand for more homes in Wrexham “significantly” weighed in favour of the plans.

A reserved matters application by Castle Green Homes detailing the appearance, layout and scale of the development was considered by politicians this afternoon, with more than 170 objections submitted ahead of the planning meeting.

Several councillors expressed reservations over allowing the scheme to go ahead, but were unable to provide valid reasons for refusal.

Rossett Community Council voiced opposition to the plans ahead of the meeting after reiterating fears over pedestrian safety and flooding issues.

Local councillor Hugh Jones also objected to the proposals after highlighting “overwhelming concern” in the village over the scheme.

However, officers said most of the issues highlighted had already been addressed at the earlier stage of the proposals.

The application was approved after seven planning committee members voted in favour, with eight choosing to abstain.

You are in breach of copyright
error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: