Wales News Online

Local & National News for Wales

EUSS: citizens reminded to switch from pre-settled to settled status when eligible

European Union, European Economic Area or Swiss citizens living in Ceredigion are reminded that support is available to switch from pre-settled to settled status in the UK.

Individuals with pre-settled status have usually lived in the UK for less than five years on a continuous basis. They can apply to switch to settled status as soon as they are eligible. This is usually after they have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for five years in a row.

To switch, a person must apply to the EUSS again before their pre-settled status expires. For further information, please refer to: www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/switch-from-presettled-status-to-settled-status.
Ceredigion and the EUSS

As part of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS), 2,550 applications were received in Ceredigion (as of September 2021). Of those, 990 people were granted settled status, 1,480 received pre-settled status and there were 80 other.

Councillor Ellen ap Gwynn, Leader of Ceredigion County Council, said: “In response to the EUSS scheme, Ceredigion County Council set up a dedicated steering group to look at how the settlement scheme would affect social and economic aspects in the county, and to promote the scheme as extensively as possible to the residents of Ceredigion. We are glad that so many of our residents have received settled or pre-settled status through the scheme, and we would like to remind them to update their status once they are eligible to protect their rights to live, work and access services in the UK.”


Late applications


Although the deadline for EUSS applications was in June 2021, people can still make a late application if they have reasonable grounds for missing the deadline. To apply visit: www.gov.uk/eusettlementscheme.


An application must be made for every eligible child within a family. Parents should check if they need to apply on behalf of their children, even if they have already applied and been granted a status themselves.


For help, advice and signposting to organisations able to assist with applications, visit the EUSS Wales website: https://www.eusswales.com/en/index.html

%d bloggers like this: