SOME schools worry that a pupil would be held liable if they carried out first aid and something went wrong, councillors heard.
Cllr Guy Woodham, cabinet member for education, said that most secondary schools did carry out first aid training but those that didn’t expressed an appetite to do so but had similar ‘reservations.’
He was responding to a question from Cllr Mark Carter at Thursday’s (Jul 18) full council meeting which asked for an update of what training had been implemented for pupils since he last raised the matter in May 2018.
Cllr Woodham said that schools were concerned about cost implications of providing training, the need to prioritise the new curriculum and ALN reform but “the biggest concern was the potential implications for a young person in the event they administer first aid and something goes wrong.”
The schools “had no desire for young people to be put in a position where they are held accountable,” he added.
Cllr Woodham said he had asked officers to look at where training is sourced and its costs, as well legal implications for young people.