MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service have issued a statement on tumble dryer safety following a fire involving a tumble dryer in Swansea. The statement reads:
On Friday 24th January at approximately 23:30, crews from Swansea Central and Swansea West attended a property fire in City Centre, Swansea. On arrival, it became apparent the cause of the fire involved a tumble dryer in the kitchen on the ground floor. Crews extinguished the fire and thankfully there were no residents in the property at the time of the fire.
Will Bowen, Home Safety Manager said: “It was fortunate that the occupants were not in the property at the time of the fire, as this incident could have had a different outcome. We advise that tumble dryers are not left switched on when there is no one at home, or overnight. Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that get very hot. For more Tumble Dryer Safety advice please visit our website.”
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service offers free Home Fire Safety Checks which give people the opportunity to get invaluable advice from their local fire and rescue service about planning escape routes, positioning alarms and ensuring that the correct, working smoke alarm is fitted in their home. To request a Home Fire Safety Check for yourself or a vulnerable loved one or neighbour, contact MAWWFRS on 0800 169 1234