02/01/2023

Wales News Online

Local & National News for Wales

MS joins Electrical Safety First in warning about dangerous online purchases

MEMBER of the Senedd for Gower, Rebecca Evans MS, has joined leading consumer safety Charity Electrical Safety First to warn that people in Wales may be buying unsafe electrical items online.

The Charity Electrical Safety First carried out an investigation which discovered that some hair clippers, hair removal kits and other beauty salon electrical items for sale in online marketplaces were unfit for sale to Welsh consumers as advertised, putting them at risk of electric shock and fire.

Rebecca Evans MS said “With hairdressers and beauty salons currently closed in Wales, research has revealed that more than a third (38%) of adults in Wales have either already purchased or are considering purchasing an electrical beauty item such as hair clippers or hair removal kits from an online marketplace.

“Electrical Safety First have told me of their concern about unsafe beauty products being sold online – and it might not be immediately obvious from the advertisements why they might be dangerous.”

The investigation has raised awareness of the dangers of purchasing products on online marketplaces that are not compatible to be used in Wales as they often advertised without UK plugs, and are sold with dangerously poor-quality travel adaptors for permanent use. The Charity is concerned that such items are illegal and risks electric shock or a fire in consumers home.

%d bloggers like this: