THE relocation of pupils to allow construction of a new secondary school to begin has been delayed again.
Bad weather has been blamed for the delay in building the temporary school at the Portfield site which pupils of Haverfordwest High were due to move to after October half term.
The half-term move had already been put back from September after work was delayed over contractor issues.
Parents have been contacted with the new date for moving pupils in years 9 and 11 – November 13 – the week after originally planned.
All other pupils will return to the Portfield site the next day, November 14.
The revised plan includes rescheduling a planned inset day from November 4 to November 11, with an extra day off on November 12.
In a letter, headteacher Jane Harries apologised for the inconvenience and said: “Due to poor weather over the summer holidays the schedule for delivery of the new classrooms has been delayed. It is with regret that, despite every effort to recover the schedule, we will not be able to move pupils to the Portfield site as planned on Monday 4th November 2019.”
Current transport arrangements will remain in place for the week after half term with years nine and 11 at the Prendergast site and years seven, eight, ten, 12 and 13 to Portfield.
A Pembrokeshire County Council spokesman said: “We recognise the challenge to pupils and parents that the change in the scheduled timeframe presents. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes but it is due to circumstance beyond our control.”
Work is due to start building a new secondary school at the former Sir Thomas Picton site at Prendergast as part of the 21st Century Schools programme.