Wales News Online

Local & National News for Wales

Three sentenced for ‘brutal’ murder of Anthony Winter

FOLLOWING the sentencing today, Tuesday (Jul 16) at Cardiff Crown Court statements were issued by the Senior Investigating Officer and the family of murdered Anthony Winter.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Matt Powell said:

“Today concludes a South Wales Police investigation into a violent, sustained attack on Anthony Winter which started in Newport and fatally concluded in Cardiff.

Sadly, this case once again highlights the devastating impact that controlled drugs and the criminal use of a knife can have on someone and their family.

We also acknowledge the trauma suffered by a number of witnesses who stayed with Anthony until the arrival of the emergency services and thank those who assisted the investigation.

Anthony’s family have been courageous and shown immense dignity since learning the tragic news of Anthony’s murder and throughout the trial at Cardiff Crown Court.

Nothing will compensate them for their sudden and devastating loss but we hope that the verdicts and today’s sentences will give them some piece of mind that justice has been served.”

Family statement:

A shortened version of this statement was read outside Cardiff Crown Court by Family Liaison Officer, Detective Constable Krishna Chauhan.

“In the eight months since we lost Anthony, we as a family had to wait nearly three months to lay him to rest and until now for justice.
Anthony loved and missed his mum and dad who died three and 12 years ago respectively, but above all he doted on his two- year-old daughter who is now growing up without him.

We will remember Anthony as gentle man and father, always laughing, sometimes trying his luck, never cruel and without a malicious bone in his body.

He wasn’t perfect, but none of us are, and an elderly neighbour remembers how he used to help her on the bus, and even waited with her holding her shopping; and how respectful he always was.

Anthony was a lifelong Liverpool supporter and friends and family wore football shirts to his funeral as a mark of respect and affection.

He also loved boxing and would watch fights with his eldest brother, enjoying a beer and a few laughs.

Anthony was close to all his brothers and sisters and is missed by everyone – losing him has left a huge gap in our lives.

He did not deserve to die the way he did.

He was led into vulnerable circumstances and viciously attacked by these monsters – people he considered friends.

We wanted the highest tariff possible for the three people responsible for his death, ultimately only one of them was guilty of murder, with the remaining two being convicted of manslaughter.

As a family, we would like to take this opportunity to thank the emergency services for trying so desperately to save Anthony’s life on the morning he died.

We also thank South Wales Police who worked so tirelessly alongside the Crown Prosecution Service to deliver justice for Anthony from the moment he was found, and for their unfaltering support through a very difficult time.

The family would like to be given time to grieve and to recover from this most traumatic of experiences.”

Pictured: James Jones, 19, pleaded guilty to murder, sentenced to life with a minimum term of 20 years.
John Phillips, 28, found guilty of manslaughter, sentenced to 22 years
Harvey Huchet, 17, found guilty of manslaughter, sentenced to 12 years’ detention in a young offender institution.

%d bloggers like this: