February 27, 2021

Newyddion Cymru Ar-Lein : Wales News Online

Newyddion Lleol a Chenedlaethol Cymru – Local and National News for Wales

Applicants need to learn from planning refusals

APPLICANTS who are refused planning permission need to learn from the process if they ultimately want their scheme to be successful.

At a meeting members of Powys County Council’s (PCC)  Planning committee noted appeal decisions made by Welsh Government planning inspectors.

The original decisions have been made by Powys planners, and unhappy applicants can appeal to the Welsh Government planning inspectors to try and overturn the decision.

One appeal, for a development in Guilsfield near Welshpool which had been refused by planning inspectors, was brought up for discussion.

Cllr David Jones (Guilsfield – Independent), told the committee that there had been “four or five” applications to develop the same plot of land.

He wondered whether applicants could be told to stop submitting plans where they were refused permission several times?

Cllr Jones said: “Our planning department refuses it – then he appeals to Welsh Government and they refuse him as well.”

Lead professional planning officer, Peter Morris, said:  “Anyone can apply for planning permission – that’s their prerogative we can’t prevent people applying successively.

“There are reasons why it’s been refused, and the appeals are being dismissed.”

Mr Morris explained that if he were an applicant getting a planning application turned down several times, he would look at why this was happening, and rectify the problems.

“I would have to address those reasons, that’s the way of overcoming the appeals dismissals it’s as simple as that, “said Mr Morris.

The appeal which stimulated the discussion was one made by Mr and Mrs Hares.

They want to build a dwelling and new vehicle access at “Dyffryn,” Breidden Way, Guilsfield.

Their proposal was to build a new house in the front garden of the property.

Planning inspector Richard Duggan believed that the living conditions of the current occupiers of Dyffryn affected by the proposals.

He explained it the new building would be  “oppressive” as well as pointing to a “loss of privacy,” for those living in Dyffryn.

But he did say that the highway access part of the scheme was acceptable.

“Having regard to the above and considered all other matters raised, I conclude that the appeal should be dismissed,”said Mr Duggan.

You cannot copy content of this page

error: You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: