April 18, 2021

Newyddion Cymru Ar-Lein : Wales News Online

Newyddion Lleol a Chenedlaethol Cymru – Local and National News for Wales

Cardiff woods near Danescourt could be chopped down to make way for 36 houses

ALMOST three hectares of woods near Danescourt in Cardiff could be chopped down to make way for 36 houses.

The woodland is between the train tracks and Nicholson Webb Close, near the River Taff. The Taff Housing Association is applying for planning permission to build affordable housing on the site.

Several trees including oaks, sycamores, and ashes would be felled in the plans to build on the land. Developers have been trying for years to build there but have so far not been granted planning permission.

While the latest plans have reduced the number of proposed houses people living nearby are still objecting to the plans because of the loss of woodland. Many have written to Cardiff council urging them to refuse permission to chop down the trees and build houses there.

People wanting to comment on the plans must contact the council before March 15.

Caroline Dallimore said:

“This woodland is a natural green space that has importance for the wellbeing of local people who have been using it for recreation for many years.

“These woods are an important habitat for wildlife, providing nest sites for birds and foraging and roosting sites for bats, which are a protected species. If the development goes ahead mature trees will be lost, having an implication for carbon sequestration and climate change.”

Rhys Ivans said:

“This development would remove a much-loved area of woodland. Recent lockdowns have placed greater emphasis on supporting good mental health and this development would remove access to much-needed open space.

“Young children such as my daughter enjoy exploring the woodland, which would be lost if this development was approved. The impact to wildlife would cause a dramatic decrease in biodiversity.”

The houses would be accessed off De Braose Close where a footpath leads to the woods.

In planning documents agents for the housing association said the site was surrounded by urban development, was close to schools, shops and surgeries, and was easily accessed on foot, by bike, or public transport, reducing the need for private cars.

Regarding the impact on trees and the local environment, they said:

“The grassland fields are considered to be of poor ecological value, being species-poor, limited in extent, and subject to significant scrub encroachment.

“The majority of trees have negligible potential with a small number having low potential. The application site is considered of relatively low ecological value with few protected or notable species and habitats identified during the surveys.”

The Save Our Woods campaign has been fighting plans to build there for 17 years, according to Helen Stewart. The group has left painted pebbles and laminated signs around the woodland to raise awareness of the plans to build houses there.

Ms Stewart said:

“When residents were buying houses in Danescourt they were told this green space was being left for them.

“It’s not really suitable for development: underground streams, massive amounts of mud, and sloping downhill. We think that’s why it was not developed when Danescourt was built.

“A lot of people have discovered the woods during the lockdown. It’s been used enormously; a godsend during the lockdown. It has massive health and wellbeing advantages to the local community.”

Another part of the debate is the need for more housing in the area. Developers say Danescourt and Llandaff have a “significant need” for more affordable housing but campaigners and locals dispute this, pointing to the 7,000 homes currently being built at Plasdŵr, about a mile away off Llantrisant Road.

Developers have applied to build houses on the woodland twice before – once in 2004 with five houses and again in 2012 with 48 houses. Both plans were refused permission and then dismissed at appeal by the Welsh Government’s planning inspector.

Ms Stewart said:

“The planning inspector said [the first application] would have an adverse impact on the area. That was for five homes. How can planning officers now say 36 homes would be any less adverse?”

The latest plans will likely go to councillors on the planning committee to decide whether to grant permission.