April 21, 2021

Newyddion Cymru Ar-Lein : Wales News Online

Newyddion Lleol a Chenedlaethol Cymru – Local and National News for Wales

Easter Activities for Powys youngsters cancelled due to Covid-19

CHILDREN’S Easter Activities sessions have been cancelled due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

Powys County Council (PCC) have said that they will contact the families of those who had already registered an interest in taking part.

The sessions had come in for criticism.

Firstly that children from different areas mixing together could have created a risk of spreading coronavirus.

There was also a complaint that nothing had been organised for Brecon youngsters,

Katie Wilcox from Four Crosses near Llanymynech, said: “There are a few people where I live who have seen this advertised, and were outraged.

“How can anyone justify opening up a play scheme before the schools are fully open?”

Ms Wilcox explained that her eldest daughter, like many others throughout Wales, would only be going back to school before the Easter holiday, for a short catch up session of only a morning or afternoon.

Most secondary school pupils will plod on with home learning for the rest of the spring term, and return to the classroom after Easter.

Ms Wilcox added: “If it goes ahead, what they are saying is that this activity is more important than education.

“Children need to be in their own school, and be with their peers before opening up other activities.”

Cllr Mathew Dorrance, (Brecon St John – Labour) has also criticised the scheme, but in his case for the lack of activities taking place in the his town.

Cllr Dorrance said: “Young people in Brecon deserve the opportunity to learn, grow and develop.

“The decision to exclude Brecon from its Easter Holidays Activity Programme is unfair on the young people in our community.”

He had asked the responsible cabinet member, Cllr Rachel Powell (Children’s Services/Culture) to explain the decision.

A spokesman for Powys County Council, said that the decision to cancel the activities had been made following the changes to lockdown restrictions, that had been announced by the Welsh Government First Minister, Mark Drakeford, on Friday, March 12.

Cllrl Powell, (Independent Beguildy), said: “The sessions ran successfully last summer but it has become clear that we will not be in a position to run these during the Easter Holidays.

“They would only have gone ahead if Welsh Government guidance allowed and understandably these ongoing restrictions only allow for gatherings in very limited circumstances.”

The Easter Holiday Activities would have been available in Llandrindod Wells, Newtown, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais from March 29 to April 9.

Sessions would have included crafts, messy play, den making and would have encouraged children to get out into the fresh air.

They had been organised by a number of organisations including Sport Powys, Active8kid, Brecknock Play Network, Play Radnor and Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service.

You cannot copy content of this page

error: You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: