02/06/2023

Wales News Online

Local & National News for Wales

Fire Service urges residents ‘Do not burn waste and garden waste during period of social distancing’

ON Thursday, 26/03/2020 at 10:50pm, crews from Swansea West and Swansea Central attended a property fire in Geiriol Road, Townhill, Swansea.

The fire originated in a metal bin, outside of the two storey property and had spread to the building.

Firefighters extinguished the fire using four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, two thermal imaging cameras and ventilated the property using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

Five pets were rescued from the property; three rats and two birds.

The Fire Service left the incident at 11:55pm.

Group Manager Steve Davies, Head of Swansea Command said “Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service urge the public not to burn their waste and garden waste during this unprecedented period.

This incident occurred due to the occupier burning papers in a metal bit close to their property. The bin fell over and ignited other flammable material which spread to the back door of the property and into the house.

There was extensive damage to the kitchen and the house was heavily smoke logged.

Thankfully, smoke alarms were present at the property and assisted the occupier to identify that the fire had started.

Please be vigilant of undertaking any kind of activity that could cause you any fire risk and that could also put our fire crews at risk during this time.”

%d bloggers like this: