AS we experience warmer and dryer weather, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service wishes to remind the public that lighting grass fires is not only illegal but also a danger to its firefighters, following an incident that resulted in a firefighter sustaining a musculoskeletal injury.
At 08:08pm on Tuesday, 30th March 2021, Joint Fire Control received the first call of a grass fire on Mynydd Cadle Common, Penlan, Swansea, and crews from Morriston and Swansea Central were deployed to the incident.
Approximately 6 hectares of grass land was well alight.
Firefighters fought the fire using beaters, blowers and a hose reel jet before leaving the incident at 09:52pm.
The Police were also in attendance.
Station Manager Richard Vaughan Williams, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service’s Arson Reduction Manager said “Whilst we currently don’t know the cause of this fire, I would like to issue a reminder that deliberately setting fire to grass is illegal and we work closely with the Police to prosecute those who carry out this senseless and dangerous action. If somebody knows that this fire was lit deliberately please report this to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 – or via the online anonymous form at Crimestoppers-uk.org.
This incident has resulted in an injury to one of my colleagues and is another example of how a grass fire places an unnecessary strain on the Fire and Rescue Service’s resources. This was an unnecessary incidents that pulled on our resources which may have been required at a property fire or a road traffic collision.
It may be the case that this fire was accidental. In which case, I would urge the public to take extra care when venturing outdoors in this fine weather. Actions such as disposing cigarettes in a responsible manner, not leaving campfires and barbeques unattended and clearing away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire are small yet significant actions.”