11/27/2021

Newyddion Cymru Ar-Lein : Wales News Online

Newyddion Lleol a Chenedlaethol Cymru – Local and National News for Wales

Plans for additional homes in the Jubilee Park estate have been approved by Newport City Council.

In a planning committee meeting held on Wednesday November 3, councillors approved an application for between 40 and 50 homes to be built in Rogerstone.

The site in Rogerstone already has outline planning permission for up to 1,200 houses. So far 930 homes have been built, therefore with the additional homes this would still be less than the outline permission.

Originally developers Walters Land wanted to build a community hub – either in the form of a health or education centre and even a pub – but it received no interest from companies or the Aneurin Bevan University Health Board.

Councillor Yvonne Forsey, who represents Rogerstone, called for the application to be brought to committee because of the change in the original plans.

Cllr Forsey was asked to leave the meeting while the application was discussed because she had declared her position on the application prior to the meeting.

One resident responded to the application and said: “Disappointment that the land which was to be used as a local centre including a doctors and dentist surgery, both of which are much-needed in the area, is now to be developed for housing.”

The report presented to the committee said that the health board had confirmed that it did not wish to operate a clinic, surgery or pharmacy within Jubilee Park.

Cllr Laura Lacey expressed concerns about the lack of schools spaces available to the people that would move in to the additional homes.

Cllr Lacey, who represents Ringland, said: “It concerns me that the infastructure for education is not there. I know how upsetting it can be if your child does not get in to the school close by.”

Translate Site»

You cannot copy content of this page

error: Buzz Off Tealeaf !!
%d bloggers like this: