May 10, 2021

Newyddion Cymru Ar-Lein : Wales News Online

Newyddion Lleol a Chenedlaethol Cymru – Local and National News for Wales

Six-year-old Mia’s quick thinking saves neighbour from fire

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service wish to thank six-year-old Mia, of Milford Haven, for her calm and quick thinking in alerting a neighbour to phone 999 to report a fire in a property.

On a Sunday afternoon, 28th March 2021, Mia was passing the rear of a flat when she noticed smoke coming from the property. Having been taught the importance of reporting a fire, Mia immediately knocked on a neighbour’s door to inform them. The neighbour then called 999 and asked for the Fire Service.

At 05:52pm, Joint Fire Control received the call and deployed crews from Milford Haven to attend the property fire in Milford Haven.

The fire was confined to the kitchen area of the ground floor flat and had originated from a tea towel left unattended on an electric hob.

Firefighters extinguished the fire using two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera.

The Fire Service left the incident at 07:03pm.

Crew Manager Rob Makepeace, Milford Haven Fire Station said “Because of Mia’s fast actions we were able to attend quickly, and the fire wasn’t allowed to escalate. She’s a local hero and an example to everyone.

The sooner you report a fire the quicker the Fire Service can attend to put the fire out and stop it from spreading.

Luckily, on this occasion, Mia was on hand to spot the fire and tell someone to phone 999 but I would urge everybody to install working smoke alarms in their homes and test them regularly. A working smoke alarm can alert you of a fire sooner and allow you to get out, stay out, phone 999 and ask for the Fire Service.”

For further Home Fire Safety advice or to talk about the possibility of a Safe and Well Visit by Fire and Rescue Service personnel, please phone 0800 169 1234.​​​ Alternatively please complete an online Request for a Safe and Well Visit​ form on the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service website: https://www.mawwfire.gov.uk/eng/your-safety/in-your-home/

You cannot copy content of this page

error: You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: