June 18, 2021

Newyddion Cymru Ar-Lein : Wales News Online

Newyddion Lleol a Chenedlaethol Cymru – Local and National News for Wales

Teenager jailed for causing death of 18-year-old by dangerous driving

A teenager has been jailed following an investigation into a crash that killed an 18-year-old girl in November 2019.

Dylan Wyn Benjamin, aged 19, from the Bontnewydd area of Aberystwyth, was sentenced to five years in prison, reduced to three years and four months following his early guilty plea, for causing the death of Ellie Catherine Bryan (pictured)by dangerous driving.

He was also charged with causing serious injuries to both Kelsey Jarvis and Tee Jay Lewis by dangerous driving following an investigation by Dyfed-Powys Police.

Benjamin was the driver of a Vauxhall Astra in which Ellie, Kelsey and Tee Jay were passengers, when he lost control on the A487 between Aberystwyth and Commins Coch on Saturday, 16th November 2019.

The car collided with a tree before rebounding into the carriageway and hitting an oncoming vehicle.

Benjamin had previously pleaded guilty to all offences at a hearing on 6th November 2020.

His co-defendant Lena Faye Evans, driving a separate vehicle behind Benjamin at the time of the collision, was acquitted of all offences at her trial earlier this year.

HHJ Geraint Walters told Benjamin that a custodial sentence was inevitable and stated: “Cases such as this should remind us that roads such as this are not a playground, and at the top of Penglais Hill is exactly what it became for you.”

Giving him credit for his earlier guilty plea, HHJ Walters sentenced Benjamin to three years and four months in custody, with a driving disqualification of five years, including the requirement of sitting an extended test.

Officer in charge of the case PC Eleri Edwards read out a statement on behalf of Ellie’s family in which they said Ellie was a ‘remarkable person’, and that her death had left them in complete shock.

The family said they were relieved that the prosecution case was over and that they now wish to be left alone to come to terms with their loss.

PC Edwards added: “We hope the end of the police investigation and court proceedings brings some comfort to Ellie’s family, who have remained incredibly strong throughout.

“This incident was a tragedy that could have been avoided, leaving a family mourning the loss of a much-loved young lady.

“We urge drivers to take care on the roads, which as the judge stated in court, are not a playground.”

You cannot copy content of this page

error: You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: