February 26, 2021

Newyddion Cymru Ar-Lein : Wales News Online

Newyddion Lleol a Chenedlaethol Cymru – Local and National News for Wales

Property fire in Sandfields, Swansea, originated from fridge freezer

ON Saturday, 13th February 2021 at 08:46am, crews from Swansea Central, Swansea West and Morriston attended a fire, at a multiple occupancy property, in the Sandfields area of Swansea.

The fire was located in a first floor flat of a four-storey building.

Persons were evacuating the premises on the arrival of the Fire Service. A mother and infant were assisted from a flat, on the second floor of the premises, after firefighters entered the flat to take them to safety.

Two breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and a safety jet were used to extinguish the fire and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to ventilate the property.

The Police and Ambulance Service were in attendance.

The Fire Service left the incident at 10:33am.

The cause of the fire was accidental and found to have originated from a fridge freezer.

Station Manager David Morgans, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said “I must applaud our firefighters for their quick and professional response in ensuring all occupiers were safely evacuated from the building, a fantastic job indeed.

Although we currently don’t know why the fire originated from a fridge freezer; we would encourage all landlords and tenants to seek advice, on how to safely use and store white goods, by contacting our Business Fire Safety Department via the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service website https://www.mawwfire.gov.uk/eng/your-safety/business-fire-safety/

I would also like to take this opportunity to also stress the importance of installing working smoke alarms, within all homes. A working smoke alarm is vital, in order to give everybody inside the property the best chance to exit the building safely.”

The term white goods is used to cover the large electrical items we all have in our homes and include appliances ranging from fridges and washing machines through to vacuum cleaners and kettles.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service recommend that people register their appliances, so that if there are any safety concerns or product recalls, for any of the appliances in their home, they can be informed as soon as possible.

Register you appliance by visiting the Register My Appliance website https://www.registermyappliance.org.uk/

You cannot copy content of this page

error: You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: