06/16/2024

Wales News Online

Local & National News for Wales

Wrexham McDonald’s drive-thru plans recommended for approval

PLANS for a new drive-thru McDonald’s in Wrexham have been recommended to go ahead despite concerns about the impact on traffic.

The fast food chain previously applied to open a restaurant on the Plas Coch Retail Park, near the main Mold Road gateway into the town.

If approved, the company said it would result in the creation of 65 new jobs, both full and part time.

A total of 83 objections have been raised by nearby residents who fear it will cause congestion and attract boy racers to the retail park.

However, councillors have been advised to grant permission for the development on an area of car park which currently serves Argos and The Range ahead of a crunch meeting next week.

In a report, Lawrence Isted, Wrexham Council’s chief planning officer, said: “All issues relating to the design of the site have been resolved.

“There remains some concern that the surrounding road network experiences congestion and that any additional traffic will exacerbate the issues.

“However, the degree to which the proposed restaurant adds to the congestion is negligible and at peak times it is likely that congestion will deter visitors to the restaurant at busy times.

“In addition, Welsh Government are expected to undertake improvements to the A483 Junction 5 and Berse Road Roundabout which will improve the future year operation of these junctions.”

He added: “Insufficient evidence has been submitted to corroborate suggestions that the proposal would lead to an increase in anti-social behaviour, or that there is an existing problem in the area, supported by crime figures locally.

“I would expect any such issues to be managed by the end user, along with any issues relating to ‘boy racers’.”

The proposals will result in the loss of 41 parking spaces at the site, with community leaders voicing concerns that it will result in cars queuing onto
a slip road which leads to the stores.

Local councillor Marc Jones said he understood the need for the facility, but felt it was in the wrong location.

He said: “There is an acknowledgement in the highway authority’s assessment that the B&Q roundabout is already approaching capacity at peak times, and that it would be over-capacity by 2036.

“That means we face gridlock on the main entrance to the largest town in north Wales in only 14 years’ time.

“The highways consultant seems to be saying that this is acceptable.

“The Plas Coch area is accessed by three roads and each is already a serious pinch point.”

He added: “There’s no doubt there is demand for a McDonalds in the area – that’s not the issue.

“It’s whether this location is the best place for such an outlet.”

The proposals will be discussed by members of the local authority’s planning committee at a meeting on Monday (June 7, 2021).

%d bloggers like this: